"Finding Hope in Hippotherapy"
" Speech Therapy in the Presence of Horses"
In addition to traditional office therapy, we offer "hippotherapy" as an alternative therapy for special needs children.
* Please note that "Hippotherapy" is considered an "experimental therapy" and is usually not a covered service by your insurance plan. Goals for hippotherapy sessions may include the following:
1. Improve total communication - verbalization, articulation, descriptive language, auditory
processing and sentence formulation
2. Improve interaction skills and develop two way communication skills
3. Increase attention to task and encourage reciprocal structured play and social skills
4. Improve spontaneous speech production by making requests during groundwork activities
5. Increase range of motion of oral musculature and respiratory strength for speech production
6. Improve body awareness, sensory integration, trunk control , and head & neck stability.
7. Experience intense proprioceptive and tactile input to help with neurological functioning
8. Achieve speech-language therapy goals in a motivating, fun and challenging play based
9. Learn to sequence, make choices and care for the horses during therapeutic grooming activities
10. Fun, fun and more fun......no more therapy tears!
Equine assisted speech therapy sessions involve the horse and stable environment as a treatment strategy. Sessions take place while walking, brushing or feeding our horses. This is an un-mounted speech or language therapy session given by a certified speech therapist. The mere presence of the horse provides extra motivation to work on therapy goals and clients begin to progress quickly. Sessions can take place in the barn or outside in the arena.
*Equine assisted therapy : 30 or 45 minute sessions. (Children all ages.)
(Sessions payable by check at time of service)
Hippotherapy (Speech/language therapy using the horse) is a mounted speech-language therapy session where the horse is used as a treatment tool by a certified speech therapist. The primary goal of this technique is to facilitate progress toward speech therapy goals.The horse is led around the arena at a rhythmic walk with side walkers on each side of the client for safety. The therapist presents speech and language activities that work well in an outdoor environment with an emphasis on maintaining "Top-Form" while sitting on the horse. Proper head and neck posture as well as good trunk control help to facilitate the motor movements and respiratory support needed for speech and language development.
*Hippotherapy session: 30 minute sessions. (Children ages 2-12 under 130 lbs)
(Sessions payable at time of service)
Consultations: New client consultations: $75.00
During a consultation we review your records, listen to your concerns, and recommend an evaluation plan.
Please note that we do not offer "recreational riding lessons" at this time.